Lindane: Overview

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:32 by admin
Lindane is a pesticide used in prescription-only treatments for both lice and scabies. The chemical is also used on several varieties of seeds and various species of plants as protection against parasite infestation. A highly potent nerve toxin, Lindane is readily absorbed through the skin. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have determined that excessive exposure to Lindane may be harmful.

According to the U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, over-exposure to Lindane may cause seizures and damage to one's liver, kidney, immune system and central nervous system. In rare cases, Lindane may cause death. Currently the EPA regulates Lindane contamination in the nation's water supply. The chemical enters surface water as a result of runoff from agricultural land and from home and garden applications. Lindane-containing products are often misused, which can lead to over-exposure. When treated children continue to scratch areas infected by lice and scabies, some parents may continue to medicate beyond the recommended procedure. In other cases, parents may be inclined to overuse the product in their zeal to treat children as quickly as possible. This increases the amount of Lindane to which children are exposed and raises the likelihood for adverse reactions to occur.

See your doctor if you have experienced an adverse reaction from exposure to Lindane. In addition, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.



See Also

  1. Toxic & Hazardous Substances
  2. Immune Disorders
  3. Kidney Failure
  4. Liver Problems
  5. Seizures: Overview
  Name Size