Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis: Overview

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:34 by admin
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, an inflammation of the lungs resulting from exposure to foreign substances such as organic dusts, bacteria, fungi, and molds, is an occupational lung disease occurring in 1 out of 10,000 people. Symptoms include, but may not be limited to, fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, and chills. Symptoms may occur between four and eight hours after exposure.

Once exposure to allergens stops, the patient often improves. However, if exposure continues, the patient may develop chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which can scar the lungs and lead to pulmonary fibrosis and subsequent respiratory failure. The disease can be fatal if not treated properly.

Doctors recommend chest x-rays, pulmonary function tests, and blood tests to confirm allergen exposure. Lung biopsies may also been performed.

See Also

  1. Lung & Airway Disorders
  2. Harmful Bacteria & Fungus: Overview
  3. Sick Building Syndrome
  4. Toxic Mold
  5. Workplace Injuries & Discrimination: Overview
  Name Size