Electric Blankets

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:38 by admin
Millions of Americans use an electric blanket as an added means of warmth during an illness or simply to fight off the chills of a cold night. Unfortunately, most owners do not realize that electric blankets can pose a serious fire hazard if defective or used improperly. Each year, electric blankets cause hundreds of fires, resulting in millions of dollars in property damage and dozens of injuries and deaths.

When an electric blanket causes a house fire, it is usually because the product is old, damaged or faulty. Often the fabric or electric cord wears long before it is supposed to, the heating wires are defective or the controls malfunction. As a result, electric blanket manufacturers have been named in dozens of lawsuits in the last 20 years.

The elderly, the most frequent users of electric blankets, are at greatest risk of suffering injuries due to an electric blanket fire. Owners may not properly use their blanket, failing to follow the manufacturer's instructions correctly. Human error is sometimes blamed for an electric blanket catching fire.

Persons looking to purchase an electric blanket should always buy new. Older blankets are more prone to causing an electrical fire. Blankets with their own overheating shut-off system are suggested. Wet or creased blankets should also never be used. A proper reading of the instructions is always recommended.

If you have been injured by an electric blanket, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.





See Also

  1. Defective & Dangerous Products: Overview
  2. Burns: Overview
  3. Infections
  4. Scars: Overview
  5. Shock
  6. Skin Disorders: Overview
  7. Wounds: Overview
  Name Size