Chlorine Dioxide

Modified on 2009/10/14 21:50 by admin
Chlorine dioxide is a yellow to reddish-yellow manufactured gas. It does not occur naturally in the environment. Chlorine dioxide is used as a bleach at paper manufacturing plants, and in public water treatment facilities to make water safe to drink. About 5% of the water treatment facilities serving more than 100,000 people in the United States use chlorine dioxide to treat drinking water.

In 2001, chlorine dioxide was used to decontaminate a number of public buildings following the release of anthrax spores in the United States.

When it reacts in water, chlorine dioxide forms chlorite ion, a compound which is also very reactive. Chlorite ions in water combine with metal ions to form soluble salts, like sodium chlorite.

High levels of chlorine dioxide can be irritating to the nose, eyes, throat, and lungs. Chlorine dioxide and chlorite have not been found in any of the 1,613 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

See a doctor if you have been harmed by this substance. In addition, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be timelimits within which you must commence suit.

Attorneys associatedwith will evaluate your case free of charge. In addition, you will not pay any legal fees unless your attorney recovers money for you. Please click on the free contact an attorney button to take advantage of this valuable service.

See Also

  1. Toxic & Hazardous Substances
  2. Digestive Disorders: Overview
  3. Ear, Nose, & Throat Disorders
  4. Eye Disorders
  5. Lung & Airway Disorders
  6. Mouth & Dental Disorders: Overview
  7. Chlorine Dioxide: Frequently Asked Questions
  Name Size