Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant Hepatitis Outbreak

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:42 by admin
Three people died and more than 600 others fell ill due to a hepatitis A outbreak at a Mexican restaurant near Pittsburgh in 2003. Over 14,500 patrons of Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant in Beaver County may have been exposed to the virus from September 1 to November 3, when officials closed the restaurant. Local health clinics saw an influx of people asking for the hepatitis A vaccine, an immune globulin shot. According to reports, medical personnel vaccinated nearly 9,000 Beaver County residents.

Officials believe tainted green onions imported from Mexico are to blame for the outbreak. Authorities detained shipments of green onions at the border.

The restaurant stayed closed until early 2004. Chi-Chi's paid more than $2 million to settle dozens of claims stemming from the outbreak.

The hepatitis A virus may be transferred from the stool of one person to the mouth of another. The virus usually enters the body through sewage contaminated water and food, especially raw shellfish. Hepatitis A is characterized by mild "flu-like" symptoms, jaundice, severe stomach pains and diarrhea.

See your doctor if you have developed hepatitis A due to the 2003 outbreak at Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant near Pittsburgh. In addition, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.





See Also

  1. Food Products & Restaurants
  2. Diarrhea: Overview
  3. Digestive Disorders: Overview
  4. Fatigue: Overview
  5. Hepatitis: Overview
  6. Jaundice
  7. Liver Failure: Overview
  8. Nausea: Overview
  Name Size