Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Overview

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:41 by admin
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of poisoning death in the United States. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless making its detection impossible without a carbon monoxide monitor.

The gas enters the body and acts to exclude oxygen from the bloodstream. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms such as upset stomach, headaches, dizziness, irritability, and fatigue. Other symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning include memory loss and depression. Inhalation of high levels of carbon monoxide can cause death without any warning to the victim.

Common sources of carbon monoxide include gas-fired appliances (furnaces, stoves, water heaters, washers & dryers), fireplaces, automobiles and forklifts. These sources may release carbon monoxide if they malfunction or if an exhaust vent is blocked. It may be advisable to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

See Also

  1. Poisoning
  2. Automobiles & Other Vehicles
  3. Furnaces & Space Heaters
  4. Defective Ovens & Stoves: Overview
  Name Size