Ballou High School - Washington, D.C.

Modified on 2009/10/14 21:40 by admin
Eleven homes near a Washington, D.C. high school have tested positive for elevated levels of mercury. Seventeen families have been evacuated from the area due to contamination, the result of several Ballou High School students who stole mercury from a lab, splattering the toxic substance in the process.

At high doses, mercury exposure can cause tremors, inability to walk, convulsions, and even death. At lower levels, the effect of mercury, while not as drastic, is nevertheless serious. Low-level exposure to mercury may cause damage to the senses and brain. Birth defects due to mercury are also a serious topic.

The city health department has screened hundreds of area residents for mercury contamination. The clothing of some tested showed high levels of mercury.

See your doctor if you live near Ballou High School in Washington, D.C. and have experienced serious health problems. In addition, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

See Also

  1. Specific Contaminated Sites
  2. Birth Defects
  3. Blindness
  4. Cerebral Palsy
  5. Depression: Overview
  6. Head & Brain Injury
  7. Hearing Loss
  8. Mental Retardation: Overview
  9. Seizures: Overview
  10. Tremors: Overview
  Name Size