Artificial Nail Remover: Overview

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:45 by admin
In late 1987, 12 hours after swallowing a mouthful of solvent used to remove sculptured artificial fingernails, a 16- month-old toddler died of cyanide poisoning. In fall of the same year, a 2-year-old boy was rushed to the emergency room for rigorous intensive care after his parents found him in bed vomiting, moaning and unresponsive, an open bottle of the same sculptured nail remover by his side. Once again, a child's curiosity had resulted in cyanide poisoning. Sculptured nails are acrylic artificial fingernails that are glued onto the real nail. It takes a special glue remover to remove these fake long nails. However, some brands of sculptured nail removers are extremely poisonous when swallowed. FDA warns: Keep them out of the reach of small children.

These products contain 98 percent to 100 percent acetonitrile, a chemical that breaks down into cyanide when swallowed. Studies show that 150 milligrams of acetonitrileabout 1/200 of an ounce will kill 50 percent of laboratory rodents that are given the chemical. Concern about the safety of sculptured nails and their accessories is not new. The FDA published an article warning of possible infections, allergic reactions, fingernail loss, and other problems caused by sculptured nails, especially when used improperly. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured by nail care products it may be important for you to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.



See Also

  1. Cosmetic Products: Overview
  2. Allergies: Overview
  3. Infections
  4. Poisoning
  Name Size