Anaphylactic Shock: Overview

RSS
Modified on 2009/10/14 21:34 by admin
Anaphylactic shock is a sudden, life-threatening allergic reaction. The reaction can occur when a person is hypersensitive to a substance, called an "allergen." Causes of anaphylactic shock include, but are not limited to, bee stings or other insect bites, certain foods, and medications.

When an allergen is introduced, the whole body may react. Victims may feel faint due to a sudden decrease in blood pressure. Breathing may become difficult and the victim may start to wheeze. Victims may suffer severe stomach pain, vomiting and lack of bowel control. The skin may become red and itchy, a condition known as hives.

Anaphylactic shock can be fatal within a short period. The reactions can happen in rapid succession, leading to death. Experts recommend seeking immediate medical treatment if these symptoms arise.

See Also

  1. Immune Disorders
  2. Anthrax Vaccine
  3. Prescription & Over-the-Counter Drugs: Overview
  4. Food Products & Restaurants
  5. Medication & Prescription Errors
  6. Nizoral / Ketoconazole
  7. Sodium Hydroxide
  Name Size